Saturday, September 6, 2008

The great TNN yarn swap.

I took part in a wonderful themed yarn swap a few weeks back.


The swap needed to have a theme..... Within that theme you needed to give the following:


  • 100g of hand dyed yarn.

  • A piece of knitting bling.
  • A food recipe.
  • A small gift.

Unfortunately, the person i had hasn't posted pictures of what i made for them :( - I didn't take any photos of the full swap before i sent it to them BUT...... I do have photos of the yarn :).

The theme that i chose was: 'The desperate housewife's romance kit'.




  • I made them a working yarn holder, to stop little fingers (or claws) tangling their wool. I blogged about the start of this project here.





  • The recipe was for my famous caramello brownie mmmmmm.







  • The gift was some red bamboo yarn & a clutch of Toblerones (cause we always know chocolate doesn't let us down!).



  • The knitting pattern was a free fingerless gloves pattern off Ravelry, Called 'Berry hill'. Aren't they beautiful!




The yarn that I chose to use was 8ply, 100% wool in a scrummy light rose colour. I thought I would have a go at self striping wool..... MY way! What a laugh AND what a headache!!!!!!!!


Here are some pics of the process.......... I used a beer bottle and wound the yarn around it 20 times, then tied each bundle up with an acrylic yarn so i knew which thread to cut once it was dyed.

I had to be VERY careful that i kept the mini balls in order at all times! Imagine trying to untangle wet smelly wool...... EWWWW.

Once it was dyed (and still wet) I wound it into a hank on my swift, then I washed it with wool wash and dried it etc......

I LOVE the small parts where i tied it into mini balls that it stayed the pink..... As these will be uniform specks i am thinking that it will work a bit like Opal.

I really hope i get to see a FO of this yarn....... Watch this space.












1 comment:

sweetp said...

Wow wow wow. Great package. Shame she hasnt posted pics. :(

Are you signed up for the next one? Go on....